Dr Irshad Ahmad has M.Phil degree in Biotechnology from the University of Peshawar, Pakistan, studying effects of probiotics on the growth of broilers with special reference to proliferation of intestinal crypt cells. After completion of a PhD degree at the University of Leeds, United Kingdom, Dr Irshad joined the Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Khyber Medical University Peshawar as an Assistant Professor under the IPFP programme of the HEC, Pakistan. During his PhD research Dr Irshad was working on membrane transport proteins of NCS1 and PACE families using molecular, biochemical and biophysical methods, attaining vast experience in sophisticated modern techniques. Dr Irshad has cloned, mutated and expressed genes of interest using recombinant DNA techniques. This included overcoming the challenging task of multidrug-resistance gene expression. Dr Irshad established a screening strategy for protein expression on a small-scale, leading to large-scale production and purification of membrane transport proteins. Dr Irshad is expert in: sterile techniques for culturing and harvesting bacteria; gene cloning and site-directed mutagenesis; protein detection and analysis using SDS-PAGE and Western blotting; transport activity assays using radiolabelled substrates and inhibitors - with whole cells and with lipid-reconstituted proteins; preparation of various fractions of bacterial cell membranes; detergent-solubilisation and purification of membrane proteins; recombinant protein production and purification from small-scale (100 ml) up to large-scale (100 L) cultures; kinetic analysis of ligand binding by steady-state and stopped-flow spectrophotofluorimetry; analysis of protein secondary structure and thermal stability by circular dichroism (CD) spectroscopy. Dr Irshad has published over twenty articles in internationally recognised journals and his principal research interest is structure and function relationships of drug-resistance genes of zoonotic pathogens.
- Irshad Ahmad, Nighat Nawaz, Nizam M. Darwesh, Sadeeq ur Rahman, Mohammad Z. Mustafa, Sher B. Khan, Simon G. Patching. Overcoming challenges for amplified expression of recombinant proteins using Escherichia coli. 2018; 144, 12-18.
- Sher Bahadar Khan, Geng Zou, Ran Xiao, Yuting Cheng, Zia Ur Rehman, Sher Ali, Atta Muhammad Memon, Shah Fahad, Irshad Ahmad, Rui Zhou. Prevalence, quantification and isolation of pathogenic shiga toxin Escherichia coli O157:H7 along the production and supply chain of pork around Hubei Province of China. 2018; 115, 93-99.
- Karl A.Hassan, Qi Liu, Liam D.H.Elbourne, Irshad Ahmad, David Sharples, Varsha Naidu, Chak Lam Chan, LipingLi, Steven P.D. Harborne, Alaska Pokhrel, Vincent L.G. Postis, Adrian Goldman, Peter J.F. Henderson, Ian T. Paulsen. Pacing across the membrane: the novel PACE family of efflux pumps is widespread in Gram-negative pathogens. 2018 (Accepted, available online).
- Massoud Saidijam, Saeid Afshar, Irshad Ahmad, Simon G. Patchin. Nucleoside transporters in PET imaging of proliferating cancer cells using 3ꞌ-deoxy-3ꞌ-[18F]fluoro-L-thymidine. 2018 (Accepted, available online).
- Irfan Khattak, Muhammad Hassan Mushtaq, Sultan Ayaz, Sajid Ali, Anwar Sheed, Javed Muhammad, Muhammad Luqman Sohail, Haq Amanullah, Irshad Ahmad, Sadeeq ur Rahman. Incidence and Drug Resistance of Zoonotic Mycobacterium bovis Infection in Peshawar, Pakistan. 2018 (Accepted, available online).
- Mohammad Zahid Mustafa, Mohammad Kamran Taj, Asadullah, Nadeem Rashid, Zia-Ud-Din, Abdul Raziq, Ghulam Hyder Talpur, Abdul Malik Tareen, Irshad Ahmad, Asfhaq Ahmed and Zunera Tanveer. Health Issues Associated with Carbohydrate and Lipid Metabolism in Baloch and Hazara Populations of Balochistan Province of Pakistan. Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Sciences. Vol. 6 No.2; 476-490; 2016.
- *Irshad Ahmad, Effect of probiotics on broilers performance. International Journal of Poultry Science. 5 (6):593-597; 2006.
- Afridi, Z.K, *Irshad Ahmad, G.Z. Khattak, H. Qazi, and M. Jamil. Incidence of Anaplasmosis Babesiosis and Theileriosis in dairy cattle in Peshawar. Sarhad Journal of Agriculture Peshawar. Vol.21 No.3;311-316; 2005.
- Afridi, Z.K, *Irshad Ahmad, G.Z. Khattak, H. Qazi, and S. Efroz. Incidence of Leishminiasis in Kurram Agency NWFP, Pakistan. Sarhad Journal of Agriculture Peshawar. Vol.21 No.4;509-513; 2005.